November 20, 2017

Diverse Character - X + Y + Z



INTRODUCTION:

There’s been a lot of talk about adding diverse characters to fictional books. Most of the time, this is about including people of color if you’re a Caucasian writer, but all writers can add diverse characters to their books. And why stop at race? In this series, I’m going to list all sorts of diverse characters.

Note: I'm not knowledgeable about all types of people, so I'm skipping my usual tips in favor of letting others share their knowledge. See below 

**I won't be able to list them all, so here's a list of ethnic groups...with a list of even more lists at the bottom of the page. lol



Here are the diverse characters for X:

Individuals with Xanthocyanopsy (only see blue and yellow)

Individuals with Xanthopsia (objects appear yellow)

Xenophobics (Individuals with the fear or strangers or foreigners)

X-Men (Individuals with powers)

Xylophone Player



Here are the diverse characters for Y:

Yakuts (Turkic-speaking Siberian people)

Yankees (US)

Yazidis (Kurdish sub-group)

Yemeni Individuals (From Yemen)

Yogis (Individuals who are proficient in yoga)

YOU!

(Put yourself in your books or give your characters your traits.)

Yo-yoer (Professional yo-yo trick artist)



Here are the diverse characters for Z:

Zambians (Individuals from Zambia)

Zimbabweans

Zombies 

Zoologist

Zoo Employee

Zoophobics (Individuals with the fear of animals)

Zulus Individuals (Bantu ethnic group)



SHARE: If you can come up with more diverse characters that start with V or W let me know and I will add them to my list.

QUESTION: Do you have tips or Do's/Dont's for one of the characters I mentioned above? Share your advice for writing about those characters in your comment.

Have you written about a character from my list?




28 comments:

  1. Here's my contribution:

    X - xylophone maker
    Y - yo-yoer, a professional yo-yo trick artist
    Z - zoologist
    Funny enough, one of my characters from my paranormal romance novella series is a yogi. And an empath.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Those are great additions. I’ll add them. Thanks!

      Delete
  2. I'd add:

    Zulus
    Zoroastrians
    Yakuts (a Turkic people who live in Siberia)
    Yazidis (a Kurdish sub-group with their own religion)
    People with xanthocyanopsy (a type of color-blindness in which only blue and yellow can be distinguised)
    People with xanthopsia (color vision deficiency where objects appear mostly yellow)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You and Lidy have been amazing coming up with ones I fail to think of before I post. Thanks!

      Delete
  3. Yogis - all I can think of is Yogi Bear. LOL

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great post as always Chrys, good to read and look.

    Yvonne.

    ReplyDelete
  5. haha I've done YOU a time or ten, or hid it behind a rhyming cat.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Nice bookmarks. X, Y, & Z are the hard ones, aren't they?

    ReplyDelete
  7. Very pretty bookmarks.

    I can't say I've ever written about any of the above, although I have been to Zimbabwe, so who knows? Could happen.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! I'll let her know you said that. :)

      You've traveled to so many places. I am envious.

      Delete
  8. Your mother's bookmarks upstaged the character traits and suggestions. They're beautiful. I'll check them out for sure!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I had hoped her bookmarks would upstage the rest of this post. I almost put them first. :)

      Delete
  9. What an amazing list. I wish I could set stories on some of these places!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I'm fascinated by xanthocyanopsy. Imagine what it would be like to only see certain colors. So many story possibilities :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That would certainly create a story with many possibilities.

      Delete
  11. I like the suggestions for X.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Great list, Chrys. I have not specifically used any of these characters on your list. Your mom's book marks are so sweet!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi, Lisa! I've written about zombies. :)

      Thanks!

      Delete
  13. Your mom is so creative. I like these bookmarks.

    ReplyDelete