My Mission For You:

Don't let #Doubt extinguish your #Sparks. Find the #Sparks you need to ignite your stories, dreams, and life.

Friday, August 26, 2016

Turtle Bread Recipe



Not to worry. I'm not talking about a real turtle, but bread shaped like a turtle. This is so much fun to do with kids. And it's so yummy. We gobble this bread up whenever I make it with my nephews.


The finished Turtle Bread


Turtle Bread


Need:
- 2 ½ to 3 cups of flour
- 1 package of quick-rising active dry yeast
- 1 tablespoon of sugar
- 1 teaspoon of salt
- ½ cup of water
- ½ cup of milk
- 1 tablespoon of butter
- 1 egg


Instructions:

1. Mix 1 ½ cups of flour with the yeast, sugar and salt in a large bowl.

2. Heat water, milk and butter in a sauce pan. Stir in yeast/flour mixture.

3. Add egg and remaining flour until the dough is easy to handle.

4. Dust a clean surface with flour. Knead dough until smooth and elastic (5 minutes).
5. Cover and rest for 10 minutes.

6. Lightly grease a cookie sheet.

Ready to bake.

7. Shape a 2-inch piece of dough into a ball for a head. Shape 4 smaller pieces into balls for feet. Shape 1 piece of dough into a tail.

8. Shape the rest of the bowl into a ball for the body. Place on cookie sheet and flatter slightly.

9. Attach the head, feet and tail by flattening an edge of the ball under the body to secure it.

10. Cover and let rise for 20 minutes. Heat the oven to 400 degrees.

11. Make crisscross cut marks with a knife across the body about ¼ inch deep so it looks like a turtle’s shell.

12. Bake until golden brown 20-25 minutes. Cool then enjoy!


My youngest nephew LOVES to play with flour.


QUESTIONS: Would you try Turtle Bread? What's your favorite bread to bake? I also love to make banana bread.


34 comments:

  1. Hi Chrys - looks great fun for the kids ... and then they get to eat warm, home-cooked by them flippers, or scales, or eyes, or head even! What a happy face ... cheers Hilary

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Is is a lot of fun for kids. And adults, too. I had just as much fun as my nephews did. :D

      Delete
  2. Oh that looks yummy! You know, I never made bread but I have made banana bread quite often and my hubby loves it! He said I make the best banana bread:)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Banana bread is one of my favorites to make. And so easy.

      Delete
  3. The tortoises were very relieved to hear what this post was really about. Whew! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Your tortoises can breathe a sigh of relief. ;)

      Delete
  4. That is so cute! I'd totally try the turtle bread. My household likes banana bread too. And zucchini bread. And ice cream. Oh, wait! Got a little off topic there. :) Have a great weekend!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've never made zucchini bread but I've been wanting to for a long time.

      Thanks, Christine. You, too!

      Delete
  5. How cute! One could make all sorts of animals.

    ReplyDelete
  6. haha that sure is neat indeed. He loves his flour too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. He does. Whenever I bake with them, he asks for a little bit of flour to play with and mix with water. :P

      Delete
  7. Thanks for sharing what looks like a wonderful recipe.
    Yvonne.

    ReplyDelete
  8. This is delightful! I'm sure my Captain Awesome will love making this - he's a fan of flour too ;-) Benson, my walking-rock turned world traveler (fugitive desert tortoise) would certainly approve!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Awesome! I like that stamp of approval. ;)

      Delete
  9. I've made teddy bear bread which is similar, and cinnamon bread, both of which use yeast and taste like bread, as opposed to being sweet. Banana and zucchini bread are quick breads as they don't use yeast. They are two different textures. Kids love baking, though, and most of them like getting their hands into batter no matter what they are making. Kudos to you for baking with your nephews!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aw. Teddy Bear bread. That sounds so cute!

      Delete
  10. That's so cute! When I read the title, I thought it was going to be a chocolate bread with caramel and pecans.

    I have a wicked lavender bread recipe I love, and a lime-coconut banana bread that's delicious.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. A chocolate bread with caramel and pecans sounds good.

      Lavender bread? Oh my gosh. I need to try that!

      Delete
  11. What fun! I'll have to remember this the next time my grandkids come for a visit.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm sure they'd have a blast making this bread. :)

      Delete
  12. Fun recipe! I would make this in the winter. It's too hot here right now to bake LOL. Thanks for sharing this, Chrys!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know just what you mean about it being too HOT.

      You're welcome! :)

      Delete
  13. I've never baked bread. I'd be willing to give that a try.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Good for you for baking with the youngsters. My children loved kneading bread dough with me. That was a long time ago.

    Love,
    Janie

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love to bake and do art projects with them. :)

      Delete
  15. Your nephew is priceless and I'm glad to see a male helping with the baking. More of that please. The Turtle Bread was cute.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. He asks me all the time if we're baking. He enjoys it a lot. :)

      Delete
  16. I love that idea and the bread is so cute.

    ReplyDelete
  17. It looks like so much fun. I'm keeping the project in my little book of things to do with the grandchildren.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aw. I hope they have fun baking this. :)

      Delete

Please tell me what you think. I love to chat! :)

Popular Posts!

Join!

Follow!