Not to worry. I'm not talking about a real turtle, but bread shaped like a turtle. This is so much fun to do with kids. And it's so yummy. We gobble this bread up whenever I make it with my nephews.
|The finished Turtle Bread|
- 2 ½ to 3 cups of flour
- 1 package of quick-rising active dry yeast
- 1 tablespoon of sugar
- 1 teaspoon of salt
- ½ cup of water
- ½ cup of milk
- 1 tablespoon of butter
- 1 egg
1. Mix 1 ½ cups of flour with the yeast, sugar and salt in a large bowl.
2. Heat water, milk and butter in a sauce pan. Stir in yeast/flour mixture.
3. Add egg and remaining flour until the dough is easy to handle.
4. Dust a clean surface with flour. Knead dough until smooth and elastic (5 minutes).
5. Cover and rest for 10 minutes.
6. Lightly grease a cookie sheet.
|Ready to bake.|
7. Shape a 2-inch piece of dough into a ball for a head. Shape 4 smaller pieces into balls for feet. Shape 1 piece of dough into a tail.
8. Shape the rest of the bowl into a ball for the body. Place on cookie sheet and flatter slightly.
9. Attach the head, feet and tail by flattening an edge of the ball under the body to secure it.
10. Cover and let rise for 20 minutes. Heat the oven to 400 degrees.
11. Make crisscross cut marks with a knife across the body about ¼ inch deep so it looks like a turtle’s shell.
12. Bake until golden brown 20-25 minutes. Cool then enjoy!
|My youngest nephew LOVES to play with flour.|
QUESTIONS: Would you try Turtle Bread? What's your favorite bread to bake? I also love to make banana bread.