March 18, 2016

Blogger Interview with Jeffrey Scott




Today I’m welcoming Jeffrey Scott to Write with Fey. He’s telling us about his R.A.N.T. feature and Titanic. Sit back and hang out with us for a while. :)


1. What is your blog feature R.A.N.T.? How did it start and how can people join in on the fun?

R.A.N.T. (Rage Against Nothing, Typically) was started in 2004. I maintained my own website and for a few weeks, tried something new. I would rant about something in my forum and asked who else felt the same. With little to no replies, I gave up. Fast forward to 2005 when I messed with Myspace. It had a blogging feature which I toyed with briefly and did a few rant style short posts. This (in a way) drew me to the blogging world. In 2008, I finally did so. I began with the rant feature once more, but I started blogging so much about other things, it fell by the wayside. I was also writing Doctor Who and Biggest Loser episode reviews. 

Finally, in 2012 I broke my blog into three separate entities and I once more picked up the rant feature. Unlike the first few attempts, this one stuck and I’ve been continuing my r.a.n.t. feature to this day. For the time being, it’s a monthly feature rather than weekly, but I welcome any who wish to participate in one or more months to follow along. I rant on the second Monday of the month. I try to keep my ranting lighthearted and whimsical if possible. Full details can be found on my blog under the R.a.n.t. tab, along with my archive of past rants. i.e. (Super Bowl commercials, TV shows jumping the shark, Stores selling ground coffee).


2. I participated this past Monday. :) What was your very first blog post? 

Armadillo Walkers – It was a rant about people who walk into the street as you are driving past them.

3. You’ve visited the Titanic Experience in Belfast and blogged about your experience. Tell us about your fascination with this fated ship.

I’ve always loved learning about histories tragic events. None have fascinated me more than the Titanic. I could, and have, spent hours researching. I’m not sure why exactly. Perhaps because I think the majority of the suffering could have been avoided and I wonder how I would have reacted in the same situation. The stories of how different ones survived or perished in the experience are fascinating. Would I have been one to play an instrument as the ship sank or would I be first in line for a lifeboat? Knowing most lifeboats departed without being filled to capacity still amazes me to this day. When I was 13, I wrote a short story called The Titanic 2, it also sank, but because of an alien invasion.

4. An alien invasion sank the Titanic? Nice! You’re a member of Battle of the Bands and always have interesting matchups. Which of your battles has received the most feedback?

My battles have been a mix of just about every genre; jazz, reggae, country, top 40, 80’s, and such. However, the one most viewed and has received the most comments was one I did on early morning super hero cartoon shows of my youth.

5. What are the top 5 most-viewed posts on your blog? 

My evening with Diana Krall – Concert photos.

Early in my blogs history, I was doing CD reviews.

One of a few poems I wrote about an unrequited love.

Selected photos from my solo European vacation.

Another in my series of CD reviews.

6. Share your number one tip to bloggers just starting out.

Advertise, advertise, advertise. If you are looking for readers and want a successful blog, you need to reach out to others and let them know your blog is active. This means you need to visit other blogs, reply to comments and get involved in the blogging community. Blog hops are a great way to meet new bloggers. You are also going to need patience. Nothing happens overnight. When I first started blogging, I received little to no traffic. Only after a joined a few blog hops and became a regular reader and commenter to other blogs did I start seeing traffic. 


Hyper Round:

1. Favorite time to post blogs? Early morning.

2. Blogger or Wordpress? Blogger

3. Do you host guests? Yes

4. Where are you when you’re blogging?  Airport, coffee shop or recliner at home.


BIO:

Jeffrey Scott has lived in Milwaukee Wisconsin his entire life. He is divorced with two children, both of whom have already moved out. This leaves much time to pursue his interests which include writing, photography, music, travel, poetry and comedy. His dominant interest is writing. Besides blogging, Jeff has kept a personal journal since 1984.

In High School, Jeffrey wrote a YA series of eight short stories that he passed around to his friends. Though they all seemed to enjoy reading it, he never sought out the possibility of having it published. Now, nearly 30 years later, Jeffrey has returned to the series to update, drastically rewrite and possibly have it published.

LINKS:
Twitter: Twitter: @Jeffrey__Scott 
Note: That is 2 underscores not one.


Thank you for chatting with me, Jeffrey!

Please leave a comment for Jeffrey! :)


33 comments:

  1. Great interview... I like Jeffrey's "Rant Feature"

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's great fun to put together.
      Especially on a day I'm really feeling irate.

      Delete
  2. I love the sounds of that RANT feature, too. And admit that I have been, on occasion, one of those armadillos he talked about.

    Really great interview!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha! I wait until cars pasd. I'm a chicken walker. ;)

      Delete
    2. I'm always more afraid of accidentally hitting the person walking into the street.

      Delete
  3. Great interview Jeffrey! I'll have to check out your RANT; sounds like a fun feature to include on your blog. Great tips too you gave for blogging!

    betty

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think you'd have fun doing rants, Betty. :)

      Delete
    2. I think you'd have fun doing rants, Betty. :)

      Delete
    3. I agree with Chrys, ranting is a lot of fun do to, especially when it's about those little things that annoy us all.
      Glad you appreciate the tips. :)

      Delete
  4. Thanks for the interview Chrys, it was fun. Incidentally, I ended up doing more Titanic research after I answered the questions. Even finally bought 'A Night To Remember' which is surprising how accurate the film about the Titanic actually is.
    Also, I enjoyed having you join me for r.a.n.t. this month.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Damn those aliens haha nothing wrong with a good rant, enjoying ranting away from time to time.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Feel free to join in one of these months. :)
      Yes, I hate when aliens come to Earth and sink our ships.

      Delete
  6. Hi Jeffrey, Hi Chrys:
    I love a good rant, and have a few I should write down. Puts the angst to rest. :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh, now I'm heading over to check out this RANT section. And I find the Titanic's story fascinating, as well, and so incredibly sad. I'm starting over on my blog. I had it up and running successfully with lots of activity and feed back, then got burned out and let it go for a couple years. Now I'm trying to get it going again. It's so much work, but the great community of friends is worth it. Missing that community is what has brought me back.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hope you enjoy the rants. Yes, there was a time I stopped writing for a bit. But I missed it so much, I had to return to it.

      Delete
  8. Rants are fun to do, but I'm not sure I could come up with a new rant once a month. Unless it was about writing. I can rant about that all day.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Any time something ticks me off, I write it in a notebook. You'd be surprised how fast that fills up.

      Delete
  9. Hi Jeffrey, great interview! Your blog sounds really fun! I love rants. It really gets the conversation going. I liked Chrys' the other day :) good luck with the YA series!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I like to have fun on my blog. I try to incorporate a little humour with my rants and music postings. Thanks for reading. :)

      Delete
  10. Great interview! I've always been fascinated by the Titanic story too, in fact I love all kinds of historical places and events. R.A.N.T sounds like fun:-)
    Way to bring in the readers, Jeffrey! I've already put you on my favorites list - along with Chrys, of course;-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Awesome. I love reading your blog.
      History is so fascinating, it's interesting to check out all the little details too.

      Delete
  11. I started my blog on MySpace, too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was simpler times. But it was people like you and me and eventually lead to blogs, I believe. We've come a long way.

      Delete
  12. Hi Chrys and Jeff - interesting to see how you started out blogging and to learn a little more about you. You rant well - not too much vitriol!

    Fascinating to see your notes on the Titanic - and to read how factually correct the story appears to be ... must be one of the first 'immediate' connectivity between humans across the globe: telling what happened from the survivors - that was then recorded. I just remember the plaque in Church we used to attend when I was at school ... so it was a date I remembered.

    Joining in with other bloggers and relating is so essential to gathering friends around the blogosphere ...

    Good to see you here .. and cheers to you both - Hilary

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Great to have you stop over an visit. Yes, the Titanic was a heavy story for a long time on both sides of the pond. Especially in Belfast, I would imagine.

      Delete
  13. The RANT is a good idea. I also have a category Rant on my blog. ;)
    Thanks for sharing.

    Have a lovely weekend!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I will stop by and check it out.
      I also think ranting is a good way to get it all out of your system.

      Delete
  14. I think the tragedies that could have been avoided haunt us the most. Should, coulds, and woulds really get under the skin.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So true, and the Titanic story has a plethora of them.

      Delete
  15. I'll check out the RANT tab and I enjoy Battle of the Band posts.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'll welcome the visit. Everyone involved in the BOTB appreciates when others (outside our group) stop in to battle with us. It's a lot of great fun.

      Delete