October 05, 2015

Self-Defense Tips + October Question of the Month



I'm co-hosting Unicorn Bell today with: Dear Distracted Writer

*******************************************

Beth Kennedy in Hurricane Crimes is a self-defense instructor. She’s strong and smart. I wish I was more like her! While researching self-defense techniques that I could describe her teaching her students, I came across easy tips everyone can do to protect themselves. Since October is Domestic Violence Awareness Month that I’d share some self-defense tips with you:

1. When you’re walking by yourself in a dark garage, parking lot, or neighborhood and you don’t have something that can be used as a weapon (umbrella, cane, etc.), make a fist and hold a key or pencil/pen between your fingers. If someone tries to grab you, punch him with that fist, aiming at the shoulder or other limb. You can also aim at the neck or eye to cause more damage.

2. Carry mace or pepper spray while walking by yourself, put your hand in your purse and hold it, so if someone attacks you, your hand is already on your best defense.

TIP: No mace or pepper spray? Carry perfume or hairspray.

3. Carry a taser or stun gun. And know how to use it!

4. Talk on the phone. Let someone know you’re by yourself and where you are in case something happens.

5. If you manage to get away from your attacker, run in a slight zigzag pattern so it’ll be harder for the bastard to aim at you if he has a gun.

6. Scream! Don’t let an attack silence you. Scream and yell for help. Get someone’s attention.

7. Bite, pinch, and scratch. All of these things can hurt.

8. Grab anything you can get your hands on and use it against your attacker.

9. Kick your attacker’s shins. If you’ve played a sport, you know this can hurt.

10. Hit your attacker’s ears with your fist or elbow. A good hit can rupture an eardrum.

11. Kick the front or back of your attacker’s knees. Doing so will cause him to fall.

12. Lift your arm with your hand rigid as if it is a butcher’s knife and chop (karate chop) your attacker’s neck.

13. Hit the nose. Noses are sensitive and can easily break. Give the nose a good punch or even hit it with your elbow. If you don’t know how to punch, try creating a fist and pretending it is a hammer. You can also drive his nose up with the heel of your hand.

14. Go for the throat. No, not with your teeth but with your fist. Doing so could collapse your attacker’s windpipe. I was hit in the throat with a football...it’s not pleasant. Your gasping for breath, your eyes are tearing up, and pain is radiating.


CHOKE HOLDS:

15. If you’re attacker is in front of you (choking you), take your thumbs and gauge his eyes by applying as much pressure as you can. Once he backs up and releases you, run.

16. Also if you’re attacker is in front of you, grab his shoulder and lift your knee with as much force as you can to strike him between his legs. Even if you’re aim is higher, you’ll hit him in the gut. This is my favorite one to do. ;)

17. Another technique if you’re in a choke hold is to bring your arm between your attacker’s arms and flatten your hand in the middle of his chest by his collar bones. Push hard while turning your body away from him. He should release his hold.

18. Yet another move is to swing your arm across your attacker’s arms almost like a windmill to break his hold. You can do the same thing if he’s behind you but you’ll just swing your arm back.

BEAR HOLD/WRIST HOLDS:

19. If you’re ever in a hold with your back to your attacker, lift your arms and swing your elbows back, striking him repeatedly until the hold loosens and you can free yourself.

20. If someone grabs your wrist, bend your knees so you’re in a squat, lean forward slightly while you bend your elbow, bringing your fist toward your body and your elbow to your attacker’s elbow. Doing this will force him to let go.


SHARE: Your self-defense techniques.

QUESTION: Have you ever had to defend yourself like this?




To join this monthly blog hop visit Michael G D'Agostino's blog.


QUESTION: Who would play you in a movie of your life?

That’s easy. Emma Watson. Our birthdays are three days apart and there have been times in my life where we looked alike. Take Hermione Granger from Harry Potter and the Sorcerer’s Stone, for instance. Our faces looked very similar. Besides that, she’s my favorite actress, we have a bit in common, and I think she could portray me very well.




70 comments:

  1. Wow, those photos of you and Emma Watson are so similar. She would be perfect for playing you in your movie.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! Emma and I have a lot in common so she wouldn't even have to act. :P

      Delete
  2. I always remember a self-defense tip I heard on Oprah many years ago - do anything and everything you can to not be taken to another location. (Gives me the chills every time I think about that....)

    Love Emma Watson!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I remember watching a lot of episodes on Oprah about that. And what to do if you're put into someone's truck. It is scary!

      Delete
  3. Good defense tips. If nothing else, there's always one area where guys are vulnerable.
    That's almost scary how much she looks like you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha! I keep wondering if we could be related. ;)

      Delete
  4. She's a good pick indeed. I'd fight dirty indeed, go for the knees and throat or between the legs. Not sure I'd want to bite them though, too germy lol

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Fighting dirty is the best thing to do for self-defense.

      Delete
  5. Great choice, good side-by-side pics. I have a bit of Hermione in me--I love the scene in the first movie where she raises her hand in class for every question. I used to to that.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was a lot like Hermoine too in school. I was shy and didn't raise my hand as much, but I knew it all. ;)

      Delete
  6. The resemblance with you and Emma Watson is amazing! Yep, I think she could play you :) Those are great self defense techniques you listed here. I am thankful that I haven't had to use any :)

    betty

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm thankful I haven't had to use any either but it's always good to have this info tucked in the back of your mind.

      Delete
  7. That is a great pick. And the two of you do look alike. Thanks for the self-defense tips.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I've heard to aim for the nose and the groin, since the pain distracts the attacker from doing anything else for long enough to escape. My ex made sure I knew how to kick a guy where it counts, thanks to his fetish! My best friend's mother also taught us how to punch in fifth grade, back when some bully named Corey was trying to follow us after school and being a jerk during school too. I'm lucky enough to know how to punch with both fists.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The nose is extremely sensitive. It's easily broken and the pain is horrible. I know how to punch with both fists too...just haven't ever had to try it on a person. :P

      Delete
  9. Great self-defense tips that I hope I'd never have to use. My main self-defense tip is to stay home and hope I'm not a home invasion victim. If I'm out bad guys apparently don't see me as an easy mark and leave me alone. At least so far that's how it's been.

    Emma Watson sounds like a good choice. At least I've heard of her.

    Arlee Bird
    A to Z Challenge Co-host
    Tossing It Out

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Stay home. Well, that's one way to not get attacked in public. :P

      Delete
  10. Wow. The resemblance is uncanny!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Isn't it? Sometimes when I see pictures of her I get the chills.

      Delete
  11. That was fun, seeing you and Emma! I have no idea who I would have play me. Thanks for the tips on self defense. Took a class on it once, too long ago. Would be good to get a refresher....

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've always wanted to take a self-defense class. The knowledge could come in handy.

      Delete
  12. You are a dead ringer for Emma, wonderfulo to read post as always full of tips and news.
    Yvonne.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Oh wow, you and Emma Watson really do look alike!
    I remember a lot of those tips from self defense class. I was always good at getting out of a wrist hold.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Never had to defend myself and I make it a point to avoid alley ways and pay attention if I find myself in an area, regardless if I'm familiar or unfamiliar with, if all of a sudden there's not a lot of people around. I've always been told and known about holding your keys in your fist. Guess you can say it's the NYC girl in me (you never really forget the stuff no matter if you moved out the inner city to suburbia). I also learned about SING thanks to Sandra Bullock in Miss Congeniality.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. HAHA! Yes, SING! I love Sandra Bullock on Miss Congeniality. ;)

      Delete
  15. Hi Chrys - great self-defence tips ... I think all kids should do classes today - the other thing is being fit and being able to run for longer than your attacked. Being aware at all times ... I managed to avoid being attacked by a group of Africans in Jo'burg ... because I thought I don't like this and walked into the middle of the road - I wasn't going to be caught against the wall and surrounded and then what ...

    Emily Watson certainly is a great fit .. what matching photos .. cheers Hilary

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think all kids should too. Or at least school can do a few sessions of self-defense during gym/PE.

      Delete
  16. I would say you and Emma look quite a bit alike. I was told I look like Goldie Hawn and, in my thinner, younger days, Uma Thurman. I think I would have no clue who would portray me. Those tips are excellent and my hubby has taught me a couple of things as well. I had a couple of close encounters many years ago but thankfully all turned out ok

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Goldie Hawn and Uma Thurman are awesome. I can see where people say you look like Goldie. :)

      I'm glad all turned out okay too.

      Delete
  17. Yeah, Emma Watson looks like a good choice to play you!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Truly terrific and actually tested tips for self-defense. The closest I've ever come to being attacked was when a guy on the street yanked my purse off my shoulder. I had to chase him nearly two blocks down a crowed sidewalk to get it back!
    Oh yes, Emma Watson would be a perfect choice as you in a movie!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh my! And you chased after him! I'm glad you got your purse back and nothing happened. I would've been terrified to run after him.

      Delete
  19. OMG, awesome self defense tips, Chrys! I hope I don't have to use them but it's always good to think ahead. One tip I would add, when you get in your vehicle lock your doors right away before anything else. We tend to check our lipstick, look for something in our purse, check our cell phone etc. That's all okay if we're at home in our garage but in a dark parkade? Best to be protected.

    Wow! You look so much like Emma Watson!! You're both gorgeous. I love the pics.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope you don't either, Lisa. Oh yes! Locking the doors right away is an excellent tip. No one can open it and grab you if you lock your door immediately.

      Thank you! :D

      Delete
  20. Great self-defense tips! I do the keys in my fist thing while I'm walking nearly all the time. I don't live in the best neighborhood unfortunately. I've always wanted to take a self-defense class!

    Wow, there are striking similarities between you and Emma Watson! Good choice!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm glad you've known about the key in the fist thing and that you do it. Stay safe!

      Delete
  21. Gosh, yes you and Emma Watson do look alike, especially when you were children.

    ReplyDelete
  22. You are absolutely Emma Watson! Why didn't you get the part? I'm asking for my money back from that theatre. :-) Great tips. I've never had to use any of them, but I'm ready.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. HAHAHA! If only my life had been different...I could've played Hermione. ;)

      Delete
  23. Spot on for you two!
    Love the post on self-defense!
    Remember - do not get in the car, gun or no gun, run!!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Running is the best thing anyone can do....as soon as the attacker is on the ground.

      Delete
  24. Ha, of course I believe in ghosts. Or something like them. Who knows what the after life is like, or what other planes exist.

    I have never had to protect myself, but its good to read these tips in case I do.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Exactly! You just never know...

      And I hope you never do, Dolorah.

      Delete
  25. Love these tips. I've also heard that when being attached it's best to yell "fire!" as people are more likely to call and come for help in the event of a fire.
    As for you and Emma Waston ... WOW!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yelling "Fire!" would get people's attention a lot more than "Help!"

      Delete
  26. Some great self-defense tips. I've never had need of them, thank goodness.

    ReplyDelete
  27. Yes, I believe in ghosts. This is great advice. I'm saving it. Thanks. Bad guys, beware. :)

    ReplyDelete
  28. Oh, wow!!! You DO look like Emma Watson! She'd be perfect for your movie (and you're both beautiful...I hope she's up to par).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think she'd be the best to play me. She's super talented. She'll just have to learn to speak without her accent. :P

      Delete
  29. That's some excellent self-defense advice. I love Emma Watson, she looks like a great choice for you :)

    ReplyDelete
  30. I once got shot in the front of the neck with a paintball gun. Yeah.

    The kids from the Harry Potter films seem to have done really well in transitioning into adulthood. Better than pretty much any other child star.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. OW!!!!

      They did. Especially Emma. I think Daniel went through some issues, but she's doing so much good with her celebrity status versus other stars who got famous at a young age.

      Delete
  31. Thank you so much for sharing these awesome self-defense tips. I'm constantly afraid that I might end up in this situation and not know if I would be able to handle my own. Like you said, scratch, bite and scream. I can at least manage that.

    I love Salma Hayak, though I don't look anything like her.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're so welcome for the tips, Murees! I sure hope you never have to use these tips.

      I think we'd all want to look like Salma. ;)

      Delete
  32. Great choice for your look alike. Thanks for the self-defense tips as well.
    Play off the Page

    ReplyDelete
  33. One tip...with the key/pen thing, don't go for a limb. That won't do much good. Always go for the eyes. It's gross, but if your life is at stake, anything goes.

    I haven't had to defend myself against an attacker, thank god, but I've been training in muay thai for years and have competed. Also sparred lots.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's very true. A pen in the eye would cause a lot of damage. *shivers*

      Delete
  34. I think you pretty well covered the defence portion. Essentially, do everything and anything. Hit whatever you can, especially the most sensitive areas.

    Wow! She must be your sister! Time to start work on your genealogy. And hers. ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've asked my mom if she ever had an affair in Paris but she denies it. :P

      Delete
  35. I love the self-defense tips. I don't believe in ghosts, but I'd love to win that little ghost necklace. I believe in angels. Emma is the perfect choice to play you. You look very much alike.

    Love,
    Janie

    ReplyDelete
  36. Hi,
    Thanks for the self defence tips. Some of them I was aware of but I learned some new ones.
    As for who I would choose to play me in a movie, Whoopie Goldberg.

    Shalom,
    Patricia

    ReplyDelete