July 03, 2015

Blogger Interview with DL Hammons



Today I am welcoming the great DL Hammons to my blog. He is another awesome blogging in the same boat as Alex J. Cavanaugh and Arlee Bird. DL has contributed greatly to the blogosphere by bringing us Blog Blitz and WRiTE CLUB. Let’s all give him a hearty welcome!


1. I have to start with the most obvious question for those who don’t already know...What is Blog Blitz?

I’m always looking for ways to stir the pot and the Blog Blitz is something I came up with to help focus the energy of this wonderful blogosphere in a way that was both fun and useful. I liken it to a game we used to play as kids...Tag! One boy or girl would be deemed “IT” and it was everyone else’s job to chase them down and pile on top of them. The game was both exciting and fun…and that’s the way the Blog Blitz is. How it works is you join the Blitz team by registering on a linky tool I set up…located HERE…and at random times throughout the month I’ll arbitrarily pick someone from that list and send an email to everyone on the team with their blog link…and on a specific date we will all bombard the unsuspecting victims with comments.  Usually someone who is “tagged” will receive close to 100 comments. I’ll also take suggestions from time to time for Blitz targets…and those usually involve team members who are struggling in some way or just need a pick-me-up.

The Blog Blitz has been a huge success and its one of my contributions to the blogging community I’m most proud of. 


2. Blog Blitz is a fabulous idea. Do you recall the first “victim” to be blitzed?

No, I can’t recall the first victim, but I do recall one of the early ones. We turned our attention to Jeff Hargett for support after he lost his wife suddenly. 

3. I'm sure that meant a lot to him. What was your very first blog post?

Wow…talk about a blast from the past.  My very first blog post happened on January 22nd, 2009.  I had a previous blog on Myspace before that, although I hesitate to really call that a blog…more like brain vomit.

My first post on Blogger never garnered a single comment, but that was okay because I didn’t send it out into the world looking for any. It was a really random post about a boy and his bike…and you can read it HERE if you’re interested.  All I can say is that I’ve come a long way since then!


4. You’ve been super busy on your blog lately. Can you tell us about WRiTE CLUB?

Glad to.  WRiTE CLUB is another one of my projects I’m extremely proud of. It’s a contest that just entered its fifth year and became so popular that the DFW Writers Conference in Dallas helps sponsors it now.  The rules of the contest are loosely based on the movie Fight Club, and involve writers submitting 500 word samples of their work – anonymously – using only a pen name. Those samples get matched in head to head bouts and the winner is chosen by the readers with votes left in the comments section. The winners continue to move through the rounds until finally only two remain, and then a panel of celebrity judges made up from famous authors, agents, editors, and past WRiTE CLUB winners pick who becomes the new champion.  WRiTE CLUB is going on right now and everyone is more than welcome to stop by and leave a vote.


5. Sounds like Fun! What are the top 5 most-viewed posts on your blog?

Two of my most-viewed posts (based on page views) I’ve already talked about.  Those are the post where I introduced the BLOG BLITZ, and the other is the current years WRiTE CLUB kick-off post.

My 3rd most popular post is from another blogfest that I conduct called The Déjà vu Blogfest. That is an annual blog-hop where everyone who participates re-posts their favorite blog from the current year…or a particular blog that they felt deserved more attention than it received.  I’ll be holding the blogfest again this year…in December.

Most popular #4 goes to my first post in April 2012 when I was a co-host for the A-Z Challenge.

And my fifth most popular post…that may not have had a lot of pageviews, but did garner me the 3rd most comments I’ve ever received…was my post for another blogfest I hosted called Origins

6. Share your number one tip to bloggers just starting out.

Building a successful blog (and that definition of successful is extremely subjective) is about two things…content and traffic.  I can’t help you with the content…that has to come from you and any attempt to copy somebody else’s formula will not come across as sincere. But traffic…the best way to attract readers to your blog is to visit – and comment – other blogs.  And I mean LOTS of them.  That’s how I did it. It is time consuming and occasionally demanding, but so so worth it.


Hyper Round:

1. Favorite time to post blogs? Sunday mornings.
2. Blogger or Wordpress? Blogger. Never tried Wordpress.
3. Do you host guests? Love to!
4. Where are you when you’re blogging? At home at my writing desk.



BIO:

The first thing DL ever officially wrote was in tenth grade...and it was to impress a girl. He wrote a scary script about a young boy who becomes enamored with his reflection in an antique full-length mirror for a school project. The story was well received by the class, but the teacher pulled him aside afterwards and told him she couldn't believe that the material was original. After he finally convinced her that it was written it from scratch, she suggested that he submit it to a short story contest. (Which he never did)

 After that DL joined the school newspaper and made a name for himself writing mostly sports articles, but occasionally they would throw him a bone and let him write some feature pieces. His favorite (and most controversial) was an article entitled...The Art of Skipping

DL attended college at LSU and started off majoring in Journalism, but soon realized that life in that world could prove to be financially challenging.  So he decided to pursue more lucrative majors (ending up graduating with business degree) and writing slowly faded into the background as the realities of everything that tend to induce follicle disembarkation and enlarged prostrates took over his life. It wasn’t until most of his children had flown the coop that he found himself with spare time and all it took was a sprinkle of attention and the warmth of his interest to rekindle a decades old love.

Today DL is represented by Sarah Negovitech of the Corvisiero Literary Agency and together they are submitting his YA Paranormal/Mystery book to publishers.


LINKS:


Please leave DL some blog love!



HAPPY 4TH OF JULY!!! Stay safe!



89 comments:

  1. Nice to get to know a bit about DL. I have been a member of Blog Blitz for a while, so it's nice to get to know a bit about its creator.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've been a member of Blog Blitz for two years, I think. And for a while, he was a mysterious being. ;)

      Delete
    2. Thank you Rhonda! The BLITZ has been on a hiatus while I was in Alaska for two weeks...but I'm feeling one coming on soon! :)

      Delete
  2. Good interview and it sounds as if DL provides a lot of support for bloggers. I wonder if he had read Wilde's "The Picture of Dorian Gray" before his 10th grade story

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. He does provide a ton of support.

      I'm not sure. Maybe he'll stop by to answer that. :)

      Delete
    2. Thank you, Sage, and no...I hadn't read Dorian Gray before writing my story. Mine actually involved having the mothers son enticed into joining his mirror image on the other side of the glass.

      Delete
  3. lol brain vomit is a first for me, never heard it called that before. Blame myspace for that, huh? lol great interview

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Brain vomit is a catchy term. You should do a rhyming post about that, Pat. :P

      Delete
    2. The term was actually appropriate for what I was trying to do with that first blog. :)

      Delete
  4. I feel like finding out about the Blog Blitz was one of the coolest things...it's such a fun, supportive thing for us writers. DL is AWESOME and has done so much for this community. The Deja Vu was such a blast last winter too!

    ReplyDelete
  5. DL is a very generous blogger. Blog Blitz is always fun and makes everyone feel good.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Blog Blitz was such a wonderful idea.

      Delete
    2. Like I said earlier...the BLITZ has been on hiatus while I was away in Alaska for 2 weeks, but I feel one coming on! :)

      Delete
  6. Blog Blitz sounds great. It is awesome that DL supports other bloggers in such a fun way. I enjoyed "meeting" DL, such a nice person.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You should sign up with Blog Blitz, Beverly. It's a nice way to meet more bloggers.

      Delete
    2. I feel obligated to give back just a small part of what I've gained from this community! :)

      Delete
  7. Great interview, Chrys! Nice to meet you DL. I love your Bio. I'm sure I've read your comments here at Write With Fey. It's such a wonderful community. Wow, you've sure started some awesome blog programs. I love the idea of the Blitz and Write Club sounds really fun. I'll check that out and maybe vote. It's always great to hear when someone rediscovers their passion for writing. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for leaving DL a great comment Lisa. :)

      Delete
    2. Another one of my favorite contributions was a Significant Other Blogfest -- where a bloggers life-partner wrote a post. :)

      Delete
  8. DL has made enormous contributions to the blogging world. Yes, it's so important to give comments in order to receive them. I didn't get any comments on my first post until I posted the link on a blogiversary. I will check out DL's.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was almost embarrassed to talk about it. Such a long time ago. :)

      Delete
    2. My first YEAR of blogging brought only about 10 comments. lol

      Delete
  9. I was not aware of DL even though I have heard of Blog Blitz and WRiTE CLUB. Great interview.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Wonderful interview and had never heard of blog blitz but I am certain many people feel "worthy" to quote Wayne and Garth after receiving so many comments. The man who lost his wife must have truly appreciated it. The Write Club also sounds like a great place for authors to come and visit

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You should really give the BLITZ a try Birgit. Mucho enjoyment from so little effort. :)

      Delete
  11. Great interview, so it's once again time for some fun. Good for DL. Blog blitz is a solid positive!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I second that thought Yolanda! :) Thank you.

      Delete
  12. Good interview!! I enjoy participating in his Blog Blitz he started :)

    betty

    ReplyDelete
  13. A really interesting interview! I love how positive DL is and how much he puts that positivity out into the bloggosphere! I had never heard of Blog Blitz, but I love the idea and I've now signed up. Something to inspire the rest of us bloggers :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I find that positivity is an absolute MUST if you're trying to become a published writer. :)

      Delete
  14. I didn't know Write Club was being sponsored now! Good for you, and congratulations on both being a success still.

    ReplyDelete
  15. This was impressive! DL is quite magnetic and certainly knows how to reel in the readers! (So do you, Chrys;-)) This is definitely on my list!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Wow! Thank you for getting this on your blog. I did not know about Blog Blitz and so good to know DL..I am going to read more now.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. YAY!!! It would be great to have you join the team Parul. :)

      Delete
    2. Yes, please join Parul. You won't regret it. :)

      Delete
  17. I didn't know about this. Thanks for letting us know. Great post.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for stopping by and checking me out. (wait...that didn't sound proper).

      :)

      Delete
    2. You would like Blog Blitz, Mary. :)

      DL, HAHAHA!

      Delete
  18. You certainly have come a long way from your first blog post DL. Congrats on all the blog accomplishments.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Wonderful interview with a wonderful kind person. Well done.
    Yvonne.

    ReplyDelete
  20. I can't thank you enough for doing this Chrys! Now I'm off to respond to some comments. :)

    ReplyDelete
  21. First post was back in 2009. Wow, that's amazing. I started blogging I 2011 and that seem so long ago.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I wrote a post a couple years ago entitled BLOG YEARS where I compared a dogs life span (our 1 year = 7 dog years) to the amount of time a blogger sticks around out here. Needless to say, you'd be surprised about your average blogs lifespan. :)

      Delete
  22. Nice to see DL featured on your blog. I'm a frequent follower of his and a participant in his Blog Blitz.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Maybe I should start up some kind of frequent follower program for people just like you Brandy? I hoard the ones I collect from the airlines and hotels. :)

      Delete
  23. Blog Blitz and Write Club sound like great ideas. I will have to check them out. But I wonder what the first rule of Write Club is.
    Like DL, I would be hard pressed to say my first blog post was truly the first time I opened my blogger account. If you count any sort of open forum as a first blog, I'd have to admit I did a bit of that on MySpace too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well, I don't think the first rule of WRiTE CLUB is not to talk about it because we WANT to talk about it and we WANT others to know about it. :D

      I admit to having started on Myspace too.

      Delete
  24. Not talking about WRiTE CLUB is actually the second rule and its meant to discourage people from soliciting votes for particular entries. It's supposed to be a totally anonymous contest. :)

    I think a lot of people cut their teeth on Myspace.

    ReplyDelete
  25. Terrific interview! It's always nice to get to know a little more about the man behind the myth. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Susan! Also...my shoe size is 11.5. :)

      Delete
  26. You've done some great things for the blogosphere, DL! My fave is definitely the Blog Blitz though :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Trisha! I'm kinda partial to it myself. :)

      Delete
  27. Wonderful interview! DL has given the community a lot and we're so grateful. Great tip for bloggers too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! I'm glad you enjoyed it, Christine!

      Delete
    2. Yep...Chrys made me feel like a superstar! Now back to reality. :)

      Delete
  28. Another great interview with another great blogger. Thanks for all you do DL.

    My first blog post didn't get any comments until I mentioned it later like you did here.

    Lee
    Wrote By Rote

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's fun interviewing bloggers like you and DL. :)

      Delete
    2. I didn't even know when I posted that first blog that comments was something to yearn for. :)

      Delete
  29. You are amazing DL! Keep inspiring others to be great.

    ReplyDelete
  30. Excellent interview!

    I love both the Blitz and WC! Great job, DL on giving the bloggers something new and exciting to look forward to!

    Heather

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You gotta give these bloggers something to do, or they just get in trouble otherwise. :)

      Delete
  31. Great interview! I could have used that advice when I started blogging. It was intimidating at first, but I eventually found my way around. DL, however, has built something truly special. Thanks for all the contributions you've made to the blogging community!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you LG. It took me a couple of years to figure that out myself. :)

      Delete
  32. So glad I found this... Yes, Chrys, DL's surprise Blitz visit to my blog meant more to me than anyone can probably imagine. It happened on the same day I had to pick up Myra's death certificate. I have the blog post and all 204 comments printed and sheet-protected in a binder that rests beside the memorial display I keep for her. So much support from so many people in so short a time at such a low point in my life was beyond amazing. DL will always have my gratitude for that.

    Excellent interview with an excellent interviewee!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Having the BLOG Blitz available to be there for you at that time is one of my proudest moments Jeff. Hands down!

      Thank you!

      Delete
    2. That is truly amazing. I love that Blog Blitz was there for you in your hardest time, Jeff.

      Delete
  33. Hi Chrys and DL .. those three blog extras are so useful to so many ... I've joined one or two briefly .. .and then will read posts that come through. I did read and action Jeff's Blog Blitz - community is so important and I know he appreciated everyone's thoughts for him ... I felt the same re my mother - even though we didn't go that route. Just the blogosphere community is quite amazing ...

    Congratulations to you both - cheers Hilary

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi, Hilary! It's been a while since I've heard from you! I hope you've been well. :)

      Delete
    2. Thank you Hilary! I've luckily found a way to contribute in some small way out here, and its great to be appreciated for it. :)

      Delete
  34. Wonderful post! DL contributes so much to the writing and blogging community. You've done an excellent job of highlighting that here.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm happy that you think I did him and his work justice with this post, J Lenni. :D

      Delete
    2. That she did! In fact, if I do ever manage to get a book published I'm going to hire Chrys as my PR rep! :)

      Delete
    3. Haha! I will gladly host you on my blog anytime you want, DL. :)

      Delete
  35. Great interview! I love being part of the blog blitz crowd, and WRiTE Club is always a blast. The Deja Vu blogfest is a great reason to look up past posts and celebrate them!

    ReplyDelete