May 26, 2014

Liebster Award

Kristin Smith nominated me for the Liebster Award! I was thrilled when I found out she picked me along with ten others for this honor, and I have to admit that I never thought I would be selected. My blogging journey has been a long one and the recognition I've received from bloggers recently has left me amazed. Thank you, Kristin! And thank you to all the bloggers who follow me and frequently comment. You make my blog worthwhile. :)


The Liebster Award is given to bloggers with less than 200 followers. The goal is to help people find these blogs that are worthy of a bigger following. In German "Liebster" means kindest, beloved, valued, and welcome.


The current rules for accepting this award are:

1.    List 11 random facts about myself.
2.    Answer 11 questions from the blogger who nominated me.
3.    Nominate 11 more blogs who have less than 200 followers and let them know they’ve been nominated.
4.    Post 11 new questions for those bloggers to answer (if they wish to accept the award—it’s completely optional).


11 Random Facts about Myself:

1.    If you asked me in high school what I wanted to be, I would’ve said a psychologist or a police officer. I always wanted to be a writer, but no one accepted that as a legitimate career choice.
2.    I have about 61 story ideas I still need to write. And more come all the time!
3.    I am a big fan of the shows Scandal, Once Upon a Time, and Grey’s Anatomy.
4.    My lucky number is 4.
5.    On my left arm is a dragonfly tattoo.
6.    I dream of going to Ireland.
7.    The longest scar I have is 10 inches. (From spine surgery.)
8.    When I drink coffee, it's always decaf.
9.    I own all the Charmed seasons and have marathons whenever I can!
10.  I don’t watch much football, but I am a Green Bay Packers fan.
11.   I’m right handed.


11 Questions from the Blogger who Nominated Me:

1.    What are your favorite pizza toppings?

I could eat a plain cheese pizza and be blissfully happy, but I do like adding pineapple or black olives. And having ranch dressing on the side to dip my pizza in is a must!

2.    Who is your favorite superhero?

I know the popular thing to say is probably Batman, but my favorite is the Man of Steel . . . Superman.

3.    If your house were burning down, what would you take and why?

This is a great question because I think about it a lot, as I live in Florida. My first priority would be to round up my cats. I adopted four kittens last year, and although they are adults now, they are still my babies. Next, I would grab my booksmeaning the two backpacks, two boxes, and whatever notebooks I have in my desk drawer. If my stories went up in flames, my life as a writer would cease.

4.    If you had a time machine, what year would you travel to and why?

I answered this question once for PK Hrezo’s blog fest and I said I’d want to go back in time to when I was about five, so I could experience the happiness before life became a struggle. Now, thanks to a story I’m working on between my other WIP, I would say 17th century England to mingle with pirates and gain more knowledge than all the research available put together. Do you think this trip would qualify as a tax exemption? ;)

5.    What are you afraid of?

Fire. I had a close encounter when I was twelve years old. A brush fire nearly took my home and ever since that flaming, traumatic day, I’ve had a serious fear. 

6.    What's the best book you've read in the past year?

I haven’t read all the books I want to read for this year, but since I must choose no it would be Fearless by Christine Rains. Here is my review if you’d like to read it:
I adore Christine Rains' imagination! An old spirit guide disguised as a stuffed hippo named Tawa? I wouldn't be able to come up with anything more creative if I tried! I love strong heroines and Abigail White, one of the Fearless, is just that with swords and monster-killing abilities. I also love sexy, mysterious heroes and you can't get any better than a tattooed and muscular man named Demetrius of the Darkwood clan. Pointed ears doesn't diminish his hotness in the least. *wink* These two characters are great together. Their banter is extremely entertaining, and their personalities are fun. I haven't read such a great duo in a long time.
Fearless is a fun story full of monsters, lust, mystery and twists. It's now one of my favorite reads. I recommend it to everyone with playful imaginations. 
Fearless is a FREE short story ebook, which you can find HERE

7.    What is the best vacation you've ever had?

I haven’t really been on many vacations, but the one that sticks out for me is the only time my family took a vacation together when I was twelve. We went to Fort Lauderdale and stayed in a hotel on the beach that was built in a square around the swimming pool. I learned how to swim in that pool. But my favorite part was sitting on the beach at night with my family and watching the ships sail across the horizon.

8.    What's your biggest pet peeve?

When people don’t rinse off their plates (or bowls). I hate finding plates in the sink with crusted food and dried sauces on it. Ugh! I’m getting mad just thinking about it. haha

9.    What's your favorite love story?

This was tough. I finally decided on A Walk to Remember.

10.  What is the best thing you've done in your life?

I’m not really sure what to say for this one so I guess the best thing I’ve done is . . . live.

11.   List five adjectives to describe yourself.

Determined, creative, friendly, smart, and blonde.



My 11 Nominees:

1.    Natasha Duncan-Drake at Tasha’s Thinkings. Her A to Z was all about vampires and so much fun! 
2.    Sophie Duncan at Sophie’s Thoughts and Fumbles. Natasha and Sophie are twins, but they each have something wonderful to offer! 
3.    Gina Stoneheart at Dawning on a New Day posts the most thought provoking, inspirational posts I’ve ever read!
4.    Stephanie Bird at Stephanie’s Studio is an author and artist. Her blog centers around art, nature, and spirituality. 
5.   David Walston at Blah Blah Blah Yackity Smackity. His posts are always entertaining and his comments never fail to make me laugh. 
6.    Lisa Thomson at Lisa Thomson Live blogs about divorce support. Even if you’re not going through divorce (I’m not) her posts are still empowering.
7.    Holli Moncrieff at A Life Less Ordinary. Every Friday she posts a chapter from her book, Lost. 
8.    Melanie Schulz, author of alternative fiction. She is an amazing writer! 
9.    Sarah Foster at The Faux Fountain Pen is a writer worthy of more followers.
10.   Fe at Felicity Writing Away. She shared beautiful poetry for A to Z that everyone should read.
11.   E.J. Wesley, author. I don’t actually know how many blog followers he has, and for a lack of male bloggers, I’m nominating him anyway!



And the 11 Questions I’m asking them to answer:

1.  If you were allowed to read books by only one author, who would it be and why?
2.  What is your favorite dessert?
3.  On a Friday night, what are you most likely to do?
4.  If you could change one thing about yourself, what would it be and why?
5.  Who is your favorite literary character? (You can pick one hero and one heroine.)
6.  What is your biggest dream?
7.  What song could you listen to over and over again?
8.  If your house were burning down, what would you take and why?
9.   Who is your inspiration, your hero?
10.  What advice would you give your teenage self?
11.  If you were not in your current line of work, what would you be doing instead?


47 comments:

  1. That trip would definitely be a tax exemption!
    You had spinal surgery - wow.
    Hope you get to Ireland - it's a beautiful country.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, I had corrective spine surgery for scoliosis when I was fifteen. It was tough. Still is, actually.

      Thanks! I hope so, too. :)

      Delete
  2. I binged watched charmed back a few years ago, good show indeed. Yep, those ideas just never stop. Beats my 4 inch scar on my leg from barbwire

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Barbed wire? Ouch! And now I'm curious as to how you got a 4 inch scar from barbed wire. lol

      Delete
  3. Wow, thank you Chrys for nominating me for this lovely award! I have some thinking to do...the questions and nominating fellow bloggers...so much fun! Your pet peeve made me laugh as it bothers me too, when I find dishes in the sink waiting for the 'rinse fairy'. I will be checking out these other lovely bloggers you have nominated. Happy Memorial Day to you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're so very welcome! You deserve it! :D I found out I was nominated last night at about 6:00 pm and worked on my post for four hours, so it could go up today. I don't recommend that. lol

      You'll like the other bloggers, I'm sure. :)

      Delete
    2. Hey Chrys, I just finished up my blog but would like to add the badge. How do I grab it? Thanks again! :)

      Delete
    3. Unfortunately, I don't know. There isn't a website or creator for the Liebster that I'm aware of. I just saved the picture to my computer and uploaded it to my post. If you want to add a link, you can see the link to my post where I nominated you or to your own post. :)

      Delete
    4. Duh, of course I can take the image direct off here. Ha. I'm slow sometimes.

      Delete
    5. Oh, it happens to the best of us. ;)

      Delete
  4. I like watching "Scandal" too - it's not my usual kind of show but I got hooked on it awhile back. Now I can't stop. :)

    Madeline @ The Shellshank Redemption

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've been watching Scandal from the first episode. I wish the season hadn't ended. It should be a 365 day show! haha

      Delete
  5. congratulations! and nice to learn more about you! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'd be happy to accept, Chrys. Thanks for nominating me! Choosing 11 other bloggers is going to be the trickiest part.

    Do you know what the award actually means?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yay! You're so very welcome, Holly!

      Finding 11 bloggers was hard.

      As far as I know, the Liebster Award is given to worthy bloggers with 200 or less followers who deserve far more followers. :) This award is meant to help them gain a big following.

      Delete
    2. Well, in that case, I'm flattered! Thank you. I hope it works.

      Delete
  7. Great answers! I think if I'm ever chosen, the challenge will be in finding 11 bloggers who haven't done it yet. I think by now it's made its rounds to everyone!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Finding 11 bloggers was tough, but I read somewhere that even if someone did it once, they can still be nominated if they are under 200 followers. :)

      Delete
    2. You haven't been chosen yet, Stephanie? I can rectify that! (Insert evil laughter here.)

      Delete
  8. Thanks for nominating me.
    11 seems a rather ODD number.
    Decaf coffee is a oxymoron although I do drink decaf tea.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're welcome. :)

      11 is an odd number, but hey, I didn't pick it. lol

      I drink decaf because of a heart condition I have. It's not serious, but enough that I don't drink anything with caffeine in it.

      Delete
  9. Wow, thanks for nominating me! It may take me some time to figure everything out! Your pet peeve is one of mine, too :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're welcome, Sarah! And take your time. :)

      Gotta hate those dirty dishes. haha

      Delete
  10. It was great learning more about you. I don't keep track of how many story ideas I have, but I should. I've lost some notebooks with ideas in the past. I would also round up my cats.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I started making a list of all my story ideas, so I wouldn't forget them. I counted them all the first tome yesterday for this post. It's nice to meet another cat lover. :)

      Delete
  11. I loved reading all about you! Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Whew! I'm glad my post wasn't boring. Thanks for stopping by, Kelly! :)

      Delete
  12. Congratulations, Chrys! This was a great way to get to know you :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Liz! Kristin also nominated you, so congratulations right back! :D

      Delete
  13. I loved reading your answers and getting to know you! So glad you accepted the nomination! :)

    ReplyDelete
  14. I love these random questions, it helps get to know people better. Now I just have to think how I'll answer mine...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was hoping that the bloggers I chose would like the questions. It took me a while to think them all up. And I know your answers are going to be great! Please let me know when your post goes up, in case I miss it. :)

      Delete
  15. Truly appreciate the nomination, Chrys! I received one of these before I'd reached 200, and it meant the world to me then--and equally so now. :) Nothing better than knowing you're playing a part in this great community we have.

    I also love Once Upon A Time (Hook and Red are my favorite characters), and absolutely adore Christine Rains. She's a talented author and just a cool person to know in our writing community. :)

    Thanks again for the nomination, and hope you had a great holiday weekend!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hook and Red are my favorite characters, too! I wish they would do more with Red.

      You're so very welcome, E.J.! I did have a nice weekend. I hope you did, too. :)

      Delete
  16. Chrys, thank you so much for thinking of me! You are simply... how do I put it... THE BEST! This is such a wonderful way to network and reach out to other bloggers and vice versa. I humbly accept this award and will be putting a post up over the weekend about it=)
    I didn't know you have a tattoo! That makes two of us=) And 61 story ideas! I am sure they are all fantastic and good luck with wrestling around with them in that creative mind of yours!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're so very welcome, Gina! I think your THE BEST, too! :D

      Yes, my tattoo is pretty small. One day, I would like to add to it though. My story ideas are always vying for attention. If you haven't noticed, I tend to start stories and stop them a lot! lol

      Delete
  17. A dragonfly tattoo sounds very cool and pretty. And can you believe this: I've always secretly wanted to be a detective or a psychologist (I did want to help people talk about their inner demons when I was a teenager, but my sisters and I agreed I'd probably depress them further. It's true, I would.) Congrats on receiving the award, Chrys!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Claudine! That's pretty cool that we wanted to be the same things when we were younger. :)

      Delete
  18. Chrys, you've been twice nominated. I love your blog and have received a great deal of useful information, as well as inspiration from your words. Thus, I too have nominated you, so check out my post about it today at: http://stephanierosebirdstudio.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aw! Thank you so much!!! I really appreciate the second nomination. And here I never though I'd get nominated once.

      Delete
  19. I totally agree that Superman is the best. :D

    ReplyDelete
  20. Thank you ever so much for nominating me, I have finally gotten around to doing something about it :) Had to think long and hard about some of your questions :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're welcome, Natasha! I am heading over to your blog now. :)

      Delete