Supernatural means anything above and beyond what is natural, something we will never be able to understand. Supernatural characters include demons, spirits and angels.
Here are 6 things to keep in mind if you are writing (or want to write) a supernatural story:
1. Have characters that fit the genre like angels, gods and aliens.
2. Give your characters powers. For example: the ability to fly, Telepathy, the healing touch, or storm manipulation. For a full list of supernatural powers go HERE.
3. Set your story in a place unlike our world such as Heaven, the underworld, or create a whole new world. You can also keep our world as the setting, but change it a little by revealing something our world doesn't have such as a colony of angels.
4. Include extraordinary plot events that can’t be explained by science or nature such as a character coming back to life or the use of a godly power.
5. Keep up the supernatural element throughout the story. This can be done with apparitions of spirits, the use of unnatural powers, or simply the continuous presence of supernatural beings.
6. Use a good vs. evil story line. Let angels battle demons, or humans battle vampires. It's up to you!
TIP: Stay true to the type of story you're telling. For example: If you have vampires in your story (vampires are decedents of the devil so they are supernatural), research vampire lore so you won't have your vampires out in the sun, frolicking on a beach somewhere.
There is a lot of debate between what makes a story supernatural and what makes it paranormal since the two have very close definitions.
If you look at the publishing world, a novel can have supernatural beings in it but if it has a strong romance theme it is described as paranormal-romance. Confusing? Yes. But I guess the publishing world can make its own rules.
My advice is to write the story you want to write, with the characters you want. You can ask your beta readers for their opinion on the genre later.
SHARE: Your supernatural writing tips.
QUESTION: Do you like supernatural stories?
A to Z Blogging Challenge: